Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Let's Back Up a Little....Where it all Started....

So, as I was floating in my mother's womb, all bathed in warm amniotic fluid - NO, just kidding....sheesh, not THAT far back......

Seriously,  I could go on and on about how I've been fat my whole life (which I have), and talk about the many, many, many diets I have been on (too many to count - my mother put me on Weight Watchers for the first time at 13:) and I could tell you of all my struggles and hurts and insults over the years of having to live in my fat suit - the endless taunts in elementary school, all the real and imagined slights and inability to gain access into the cool circles in junior high, the loss of real high school experiences like boyfriends, dances, prom, sports, etc.  

But I'm not gonna go there.  Anyone reading this who is heavy knows inside and out what it's like to live life as a fat person - the invisibility, the despair, the unhappiness, the trying to hide to avoid the pitying looks.  The use of humor to deflect all this from yourself.  I am not going to dwell on all that.  Many, many books and blogs have described all this in detail.  I am going to tell you I am so very lucky and so very blessed.  I was able to fulfill my life’s dream of having a beautiful child despite severe PCOS and infertility;  I have found a beautiful, wonderful, sensitive, thoughtful, completely giving man to share my life with (after one miserable failed marriage, I got a second chance and it’s better than I could have imagined!)  I have a fantastic job, a beautiful house, and am pretty settled.  Except for the proverbial white elephant in the room (wearing 4X shirts and size 24 pants!)

Ten years ago I looked into the LapBand as a weight loss surgery option, but knew I’d never be able to afford it.  Then, my hubby (Fuzz) got hired at a large company (they build airplanes in the Seattle area….hmmmm) whose insurance covers bariatric surgery.  Hello?? Say again??  For real!!!???  So in March of this year, I started the process to have the Band.  Make a long story short, they had a 3-month medical supervised weight loss plan you had to follow as one of their requirements, which they changed to 6 months in the middle of my process.  Then I found out that my chosen surgeon wasn’t a preferred provider and I would be responsible for 40% of a $20K surgery.  I don’t know about you folks, but I sure don’t have that kind of moola laying around!  So, I switched surgeons and then learned about the sleeve (cue angelic hymnal music here).  I won’t go on and on about the benefits of the sleeve over the band.  Again, you can go to www.verticalsleevetalk.com and look up band to sleeve revisions and you will learn all you need to know!

I have to apologize for the length of these posts...man, I thought I wouldn't know what to write about!  I promise they'll get shorter as I get all the preliminary crap off my chest!  So, till next time, my little lovies....I know you will be waiting with bated breath for my next installment of cliff-hanging, thought-provoking, literary magic!!  *snicker*

No comments:

Post a Comment