Monday, September 19, 2011

Buckle Up, Please, this ride's not for sissies!

Oh, man.  I've gone and done it.  I've actually jumped through all the hoops and prequalifications to have someone put robotic arms into my abdominal cavity, place a line of thousands of titanium staples in my stomach, and then remove about 85% of that same stomach. 

And this is by choice!  By choice, do you hear!  No, I'm not crazy, not off the deep end, not cockoo for Cocoa Puffs.....I'm just desperately, unhappily, unhealthily (that even a word?) morbidly obese(oooohhhh, I said it.......)
Soooooo, I've decided to do something about it....maybe some would think it's drastic, I happen to think it's necessary.  I've decided to have the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG).  What's that, you ask?  Instead of going into a long, medical discussion, here is a link describing what it is VSG Info and Video.  In a nutshell, about 85% of the larger part of the stomach is removed, leaving a banana-like shape behind, removing the part of the tummy that produces most of the body's ghrelin (hunger hormone) and also the most stretchy part of  the stomach (you know...the part that allows us to eat 2 lbs of turkey, mounds of stuffing and mashed potatoes and green bean casserole at Thanksgiving, along with half a punkin' pie with whipped cream!?)
   
What's left is a little banana shaped tube (or sleeve) that only holds about 1/2 cup of food with a resting diameter of about a quarter.  This is where some people think I've gone off my rocker.....my Mother among them!!  Don't get me wrong, my Mother is all for this and me getting healthy, she just can't fathom her 5'10" 300 lb daughter only eating a half cup of food!!  And she's only 5'4", poor little bitty thing.  Still can't figure out where the hell I came from :) More on all that later...*sigh* so much to say in so little space!  And here I thought I would have nothing to write about!!! 


Second disclaimer: for anyone wanting more info about VSG, specifically from those who have had it done and those waiting to have it done, please visit www.verticalsleevetalk.com.  This online forum is absolutely amazing.  Shout out to my VST peeps here :)  

So, here I am.  October 20, 2011 is the start date of the rest of my life.  I am going to try and blog about my experience along the way.  I honestly don't know how consistent I'm going to be, but I'm sure going to try.  There's nothing I hate more than getting into a good weight loss surgery (WLS) blog and someone posted five times, then never again.  I also want to do this so I can look back and see my progress, my struggles, failures, successes, fears, accomplishments...well, you get the idea.  I also have to give another shout out to someone who doesn't even know I exist.  It's the wonderful lady of the "Once Upon a Time in the Land of Cheese and Sunkist" http://cheeseandsunkist.blogspot.com/.  Amy, you inspired more than you can ever, ever imagine and I will ALWAYS be thankful to you for your honesty and humor.  

Along those lines, I am going to apologize in advance, for I will be brutally honest about my journey, all good things and bad.  There will probably be some profanity along the way, when I am frustrated and hurting.  I can guarantee, it won't always be sunshine, rainbows, and little ponies.  Life isn't like that, and neither will my weight loss surgery journey.  I know some may get offended, or be horrified at my TMI posts, but really, if you will be scarred and traumatized for life, then please refrain from reading further.  All who know me and love me know I am very blunt and open and honest.  But I am also funny, loving, and ever optimistic. 

So, if you're with me....get into my Cupcake Dreams roller coaster, strap in (I have belt extenders if you need them *snicker*) and get ready to come with me for the trip of my life.  I hope to amuse, educate, entertain, and support. 

Heerreeeee we goooooooooooooooooooo!!!......


No comments:

Post a Comment